I hope I don’t sound too snarky, but I’ve had enough. I have seen one too many emails today without a signature. That’s right. I’m fired up about email signatures or lack thereof! I am tired of the brand myopia that enables people to focus on expensive marketing campaigns while leaving them completely blind to simple things they can do for free that could enhance their brand.
At Electrum Marketing, we know that everything matters. Even email signatures. Every touch point is an opportunity to either build your brand or risk doing brand damage.
Why would you close an email without your contact information? What if someone has a question about your product or proposal? What if they need to clarify something over the phone? What if they want to reward you with their business with a call? What if they want to refer you to a friend? By all means, make them stop and look you up in Outlook (perhaps) or a stack of business cards (more likely). Why make them put in the extra effort? Is it because you don’t know how to add a signature? If so, prepared to get schooled.
1. Open Outlook
2. Go to Options
3. Click on Mail Format
4. Then Signatures, then New
5. Enter your name or “Why didn’t I do this years ago?” for your signature
6. In the large field, write your name, position, company, address, phone, fax, mobile, email, website address, and possibly your tagline or teaser about a current promotion.
7. That’s all – nothing religious, political, or sexual. This may be your personal signature but it’s not your personal soap box. Save that for your gmail account.
8. Oh yeah, don’t forget to hit Okay.
9. Select your default signature to appear on both new messages and forwards/replies.
10. If you’re in charge, make it a policy for everyone to have a consistent email signature. If MTV can consistently brand itself in 140 countries and 17 languages, you can certainly accomplish this.
There, now you know. Now you have no excuse. No reason at all. I’m watching you.